Before you begin to trap feral cats, PAWS encourages you to consider becoming a caretaker for the cat or cat colony. You will need to trap the cats to have them spayed or neutered, and commit to feeding and monitoring the colony. Please contact one of the local feral cat resource groups for more assistance, or to discuss relocation of feral cats.
You may also rent a humane cat trap if you are trying to re-capture your scared lost pet.
You may rent a humane cat trap from PAWS for a fee of $10/day or $50/week, plus a $100 deposit which will be refunded when the trap is returned in its original condition. To rent a trap, please visit us during open hours.
If a trap deposit is made in cash, you will be refunded by check through the PAWS accounting department. Traps must be returned in the original condition.
Things to consider before trapping
Given that trapping carries with it the risk of capturing a non-feral cat already belonging to someone, and since the trapping process always causes some stress to the animal, it is important to follow these steps:
- Check the local ordinances to be sure it is legal to trap cats. Search Washington State’s city and county codes.
- Post at least five prominent notices around your neighborhood stating that trapping is occurring, 24 hours prior to setting the traps.
- Monitor the trap(s) frequently (at least once every hour).
- Cover the trap with a blanket, towel, etc. once the animal is trapped to help alleviate their stress.
- If you are not getting the cat spayed or neutered and returning her to her colony, be prepared to transport the trapped cat immediately to the nearest appropriate animal shelter. PAWS does not adopt out feral cats, and can only receive the cats during our open hours.
- Post at least five prominent notices in and around the neighborhood with a detailed description and location of the animal you trapped, and your contact information. If the animal has a home, this gives the neighbors a chance to claim him.
- Return all traps rented from PAWS to our shelter in Lynnwood in working order and within 10 days of the date received.