Did you know you can turn your love of animals into a paying job? It’s true! There are many different jobs to choose from. Whether you like art, walking dogs, observing wildlife, teaching kids or talking to people, there is a career with animals for you.
Check out these ideas:
- Administration/Office Assistant/Phone Reception – work in the office at an animal organization or animal hospital.
- Animal Advocate/Animal Activist – run campaigns and educate the public about the rights of animals and how to help them.
- Animal Behaviorist – research animal behavior and help solve behavior problems.
- Computer Technician – maintain computers and solve technical problems for animal organizations.
- Fundraiser/Events Coordinator – work to raise money for an animal organization.
- Graphic Artist – design educational and promotional material to help an animal organization.
- Humane Educator– teach people how to help animals and be kind to each other.
- Horse Groomer – care for horses.
- Kennel Attendant – care for animals (cats, dogs, other small animals) in shelters, at a boarding kennel, or animal hospital by cleaning, walking, medicating and socializing the animals.
- Law Enforcement/Animal Control – work on animal welfare and cruelty cases and enforce animal laws.
- Lawyer – convict animal cruelty offenders, and work on other law issues surrounding animals.
- Lobbyist – work to introduce or support animal laws in government.
- Maintenance – build and maintain yards and buildings for animal organizations.
- Naturalist/Wildlife Biologist – research and work on projects to help wild animals in the wild.
- Natural Pet Supply Store Owner/Worker – assist people in finding nutritional foods, toys, beds and other products for their animals.
- Photographer – take photos of animals for a magazine or for your own business.
- Shelter/Rescue Sanctuary Manager – run a shelter or rescue sanctuary.
- Veterinarian– help to improve the health of animals – companion animals, wildlife and farm animals.
- Veterinary Assistant – assist in the care of sick or injured animals in veterinary surgeries and treatments.
- Volunteer Coordinator – coordinate volunteers working in an animal organization.
- Wildlife Rehabilitator– rescue and rehabilitate wild animals, returning them to the wild.
Read these books to learn more about how to get a job helping animals.
- Careers with Animals, Audrey Pavia
- Careers with Animals: Humane Society of the United States, Willow Ann Sirch
- Cool Careers for Girls with Animals,Ceel Pasternak, Linda Thornburg
- Kids Can Save The Animals, Ingrid Newkirk
- Opportunities in the Animal and Pet Care Careers, Mary Price Lee & Richard Lee
- So, You Love Animals, Zoe Weil
- Working with Wildlife: A Guide to Careers in the Animal World, Thayne Maynard