One of the most important things our patients at PAWS Wildlife Center need is enrichment items. If an item is in bold type, that means we don't have any and there is a high need. We have provided links for examples of certain types of enrichment items. If you have any questions, please call the wildlife center at 425.787.2500 x817 or email email@example.com.
From the grocery store, your pantry or your freezer
We cannot use food items that have been stored improperly or are out-of-date due to risk of food-borne illness; we are particularly concerned about meat items. Anything donated needs to be safe for human consumption.
- Chicken–any and all parts (e.g., legs, breasts, necks, feet)
- Beef–any and all parts (e.g., ground, steaks, bones, hearts)
- Fish–any and all types and parts (e.g., heads, fillets)
- Crustaceans–crab, mollusk, shrimp, lobster, crayfish, krill, plankton, etc.
- Game meat–venison, etc.
- Mollusks–clams, oysters, mussels
- Squid, octopus
- Animal fat/suet
- Fruits and vegetables
- Dried fruits (no sugar added, no sulfur/preservatives)
- Eggs–chicken, goose, quail
- Extracts–vanilla, lemon, almond, orange, mint, rose, etc.
- Gelatin (unflavored)
- Real maple syrup
- Herbs–mint, valerian root, basil, parsley, oregano, sage, rosemary, thyme, lavender
- Spices–cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, clove, coriander
- Nuts (unsalted, with or without shell)–acorns, beechnuts, walnuts, almonds, chestnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, whitebark pine seeds, hickory, pistachios, pine nuts, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, pepitas, macadamia nuts, etc.
- Grains–amaranth, quinoa, rolled oats, lentils
From the pet store or feed store
We can use the toys your pets didn’t like so much or the treats they turned their nose up at!
- Balls–all types/sizes, no tennis balls
- Boomer balls/bobbins–example
- Corn cobs (fresh or dry)–example
- Dog bones–pig ears, knuckle bones, beef stick, cow hooves, marrow bones, butcher bones, etc.
- Dog toys–no stuffed toys
- Canned dog and cat food
- Food-dispensing pet toys–examples
- Hay–alfalfa cubes, oat, barley–example
- LaFeber Seed Treats–example
- Pet bird perches–examples
- Pet bird toys–examples
- Seeds–rush, grass, safflower, pet birdseed mixes, thistle, spray millet, mustard, amaranth
From the garden, yard, and the great outdoors
Think of us when doing yardwork, tree trimming, etc. Check before sending items to compost!
- Greenery (coniferous)
- Fresh flowers
- Lily pads
- Skunk Cabbage
From home, Craigslist, Amazon
Many of these items can be found on Craigslist for reasonable prices, or maybe you have some at home already!
- Bike reflectors
- Boat fender/bumpers–example
- Bowling pins
- Brush/broom heads/rotary brushes–example
- Bubble machine/bubble solution–example
- Cholla wood–example
- Dive sticks (plastic)–example
- Equine toys–example
- Little Tikes plastic playground equipment
- Mirrors–lightweight, hand held
- Receipt tape rolls
- Plastic orange barrier fencing–example
- Plastic pallets–example
- Spools–industrial, plastic or wood
- Tree sap
- Water cooler bottles