Found a Wild Animal?

If you found an adult wild animal you think may be injured or sick:

  • Call PAWS Wildlife Center at 425.412.4040. A trained staff member will help you determine if the animal needs help and guide you through what to do next.
  • If you reside outside of Washington State, contact a licensed rehabilitator in your state (see below).
  • Ask your local animal control if they will transport a wild animal to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. View a list of animal control contacts in Western Washington.

I found a wild baby mammal (PDF 129kb)

I found a wild baby bird (PDF 127kb) 

I found a marine mammal (e.g., Harbor Seal)

To find a licensed wildlife rehabilitator:

How to safely contain a wild animal for transport to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator:

  1. Find a suitable container (cardboard box, pet carrier). Line it with a towel or cloth. For potentially difficult or hard to handle wildlife, PAWS suggests using a humane trap. If you plan to use a trap, call PAWS Wildlife Center for guidance.
  2. Otherwise, throw a towel or a sheet over the animal so the he can’t see you, gently pick up the animal (wear gloves), and place in the container. You don’t need to remove the towel, but loosen it. Secure the container to make sure the animal cannot escape.
  3. Keep the animal in a warm, dark, quiet place. Do not give him food or water. Leave him alone.
  4. Take the animal to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible (see above on how to find one).
  5. If you would like more information regarding the animal you find or if you are not sure what to do, call PAWS Wildlife Center at 425.412.4040.

Thank you for helping injured and orphaned wildlife!