PAWS Wildlife Center is currently accepting applications for two to four-week rotations in wildlife rehabilitation medicine. Externships are available from April 1 through July 31, and applications are accepted anytime. However, applications are reviewed in January and decisions are made by January 31 for the current year. The ideal time to apply is in the fall or winter of the year prior to your graduation from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program. PAWS is located in Lynnwood, Washington, approximately 20 miles north of Seattle.
We receive approximately 4,000 wild animals each year at our wildlife rehabilitation center and hospital, representing more than 170 different species of native wildlife, including large carnivores, raptors, marine animals and urban wildlife. The hospital facilities include a well-equipped surgery and radiology, a small laboratory and library.
The Wildlife Veterinary Technician Extern will work closely with the staff veterinary technician, veterinarian, and animal care staff. The extern will receive hands-on experience in wildlife ethics, capture and restraint, parasitology, radiology, hematology, and surgical nursing and assisting.
Desired applicant qualifications
- Student enrolled in the final year of an accredited veterinary technology program.
- Those who are completing their final year will be given priority in the selection process.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Ability to follow hospital protocol.
- Ability to work well with staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Prior experience or strong interest in working with wildlife.
Terms of externship
- A two- to four-week commitment is required. A five-day work week is expected, with some evenings included.
- Students must provide their own transportation to Seattle.
- Students must arrange for their own housing.
Complete the online application, then mail the following:
- Your curriculum vitae or resume.
- Veterinary technology program transcripts (copies are acceptable).
- A letter of intent describing your career goals and reasons for wanting to participate in the Wildlife Veterinary Technician Externship program at PAWS.
- Three letters of reference.
Mail application materials to:
Attn: Jean Leonhardt, LVT
PO Box 1037
Lynnwood, WA 98046
Application packets must be received by January 1. Applications received after that date will be considered if space is still available.
For more information call Jean Leonhardt at 425.787.2500 x265 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.