Bird Nursery Caretakers spend their shift hand-feeding nestling and juvenile songbirds, such as robins and chickadees. They also assist with cleaning cages, keeping birds clean, preparing baby bird food, monitoring the health of the birds, and keeping all nesting materials clean.
Dates Available: May 1-September 15 (end date is variable, dependent upon patient numbers); volunteers are encouraged to apply starting in January in order to begin volunteering in May.
Shifts and Commitment:
- 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Volunteers are asked to sign up for a regularly weekly shift and attend these until the nursery closes for the season.
Location: PAWS Wildlife Center, Lynnwood, WA
- Set up and clean animal enclosures
- Prepare diets (includes live insects)
- Dishes and general cleaning
- Hand feed nestling and juvenile songbirds
- Monitor bird health
Opportunities for Advancement:
- Dedicated and experienced volunteers may be given the opportunity to learn advanced animal handling and medical skills
- New Volunteer Orientation
- Basic Skills Training
- Wildlife Ethics