Companion animals enrich our lives in so many ways. Ensuring proper care of your best friend is the foundation of a long, happy, and healthy relationship.
- Spay or neuter your pet, to prevent unplanned litters, and help your friend avoid many common cancers.
- Make sure your cat or dog has a microchip in case his ID tag breaks or falls off.
- Keep your cat indoors or build her a secure outdoor cat enclosure, ensuring both she and local wildlife are safe.
- Give your pet an annual health check-up and vaccination update. Find a veterinarian in your area at Pets911.com or the American Animal Hospital Association's website.
- If you need assistance with veterinary care, there are resources available to help you.
- Don't declaw your cat - instead give him a sturdy scratching post to satisfy his need to scratch.
- Take a training class with your pet to enhance your bond with your best friend.