Position Title: PAWS Events Intern
Reports to: Events Manager
This unpaid internship requires a 3-month commitment of late January through late April, 2016 of 12-16 hours per week during the normal work week. In addition, applicants must be available to work flexible and/or extended hours April 4-7, and all day on Friday, April 8 and all day on Saturday, April 9.
The Events Intern helps the PAWS Events Manager in all aspects of preparation and execution of PAW Wild Night Gala and Auction, an annual fundraising event for 500+ guests. PAWS Wild Night Intern will help procure silent auction items, enter guest, ticket sales and auction item information into AuctionMaestro software, prepare thank you letters and invoices, draft auction item descriptions, research and order event supplies, prepare bid sheets, run errands and more. Funds raised will be used to care for 7,500 orphaned, injured or sick cats, dogs and wild animals in the coming year.
The successful candidate will have superb attention to detail, cheerful “can do” attitude, be able to work independently and meet deadlines, and be comfortable with computers and learning new software quickly.
What you will learn:
The Events Intern will learn about event planning and logistics, sponsor and table captain recruitment, equipment rentals, catering and décor, applying for permits, site planning and set-up, day-of coordination, volunteer training, record keeping, purchasing supplies and more.
This internship is perfect for anyone who wants to learn more about non-profit fundraising, event planning and animal welfare. While this position will be especially helpful to those looking to continue in a career in the non-profit sector, the skills learned through the event planning process and day-of-event execution are invaluable to anyone who plans to have a leadership role in any sector. Most importantly, this is a fun internship in a fast-paced, casual work environment, and contributes to saving the lives of thousands of cats, dogs and wildlife at PAWS.
- Applicants must be available to work 12-16 hours during a normal Monday through Friday, 9:00-5:00 work week at the PAWS office in Lynnwood, WA. Applicants must have open availability April 4-7, and all day on April 8 and April 9.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Cheerful, “can-do” attitude.
- Able to meet deadlines while working independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to enthusiastically represent PAWS’ mission.
- Willingness to learn how to ask businesses for donations.
- Proficiency with use of e-mail, word processing, and simple Excel spreadsheets, as well as experience using a database and learning new software.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and have a tactful, mature attitude in person, on the phone and in written correspondence.
- Reliable transportation to and from PAWS and other locations as needed. Valid Washington State Driver’s License. The Events Intern will be reimbursed for mileage associated with site visits, errands, pick-ups and deliveries for event.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- A sincere belief in the philosophy of animal welfare, as well as an interest in non-profit fundraising and/or event planning.
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position will remain open through January 22, 2016. Applications will be acknowledged by email.