PAWS Companion Animal Shelter and Spay/Neuter Clinic is currently accepting applications for two to three-week rotations in shelter medicine and surgery. Externships are available from October 1 through April 30, and applications are accepted year-round. PAWS is located in Lynnwood, Washington, approximately 20 miles north of Seattle.
We take in more than 3,000 cats and dogs annually and perform an average of 50 surgeries per week. PAWS Companion Animal Shelter has two staff veterinarians, an extensive foster care program and certified dog trainers/behavioral specialists on staff.
The extern will work closely with the staff veterinarians on all aspects of shelter medicine and will have the opportunity to perform many spay/neuter surgeries under the direct supervision of the veterinarian.
- Applicants must be veterinary students enrolled in the final year of study at an AVMA accredited veterinary school.
- Applicants must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Applicants must be able to follow hospital protocols and maintain accurate records.
- Applicants must be able to work well with staff, volunteers and the general public.
- Preference will be given to students with a strong interest in shelter medicine, but all students are encouraged to apply.
Terms of externship
- A two-week commitment is required, with a Monday through Friday schedule. There is no emergency duty.
- Students must provide their own transportation and housing.
- Students must be in good standing at an accredited veterinary school.
For more information contact Dr. Liz Vincenzi at firstname.lastname@example.org.