Thank you! Your recent adoption saved a life.
By opening your heart and your home to your new companion animal you’ve lowered the statistics on homeless pets in our community. You’re our kind of animal hero!
PAWS is here to help you welcome the newest addition to your family with ease. Here are some links to resources by other organizations that you may find helpful as your new companion settles in:
- The Humane Society of the United States has an online Cat Answer Tool.
- Cat behaviorist Pamela Johnson-Bennett has several excellent books that can be borrowed from your local library. She also has many helpful articles and podcasts on her website.
- Contrary to their reputation, cats of all ages can be trained! You can find tips on how to do that here with Karen Pryor Clicker Training.
- Here's a fascinating instructional video from the Dumb Friends League on clicker training.
And here is some information specific to kittens:
- New kitten checklist from Cat Behavior Associates.
- Kitten behavior basics from the Humane Society of the United States.
- The Humane Society of the United States' guide to teaching your kitten to play nice.
- Here is an article from a great website called Dog Star Daily that gives you a list of what to do with your new dog within the first two weeks, and has a wealth of articles, podcasts, and free downloads.
- Watch this fascinating video from Ahimsa Dog Training about how dogs learn.
- Here is a long list of free instructional videos from Dogmantics Dog Training that will give you a foundation of positive reinforcement training.
- The ASPCA’s Dog Care Tips Library can be helpful for troubleshooting.
Find more advice on a wide range of topics in our online resource library.
We also love to hear feedback from adopters and invite you to share your adoption experience with us. Please take a few minutes to fill out our online survey.