PAWS’ Seniors for Seniors adoption program is open to residents of Washington state. It was developed to help senior humans rediscover the joys of having a cat or dog in their lives, and the program places senior cats and dogs (typically over 7 years of age) with senior citizens who are 60 years of age or older.
PAWS’ expert matchmakers will help you select a companion who fits into your lifestyle and housing situation at a reduced adoption rate of $35. Learn more about how to adopt a pet at PAWS.
Benefits of adopting
- Research tells us that companion animals, such as cats and dogs, can help improve our physical and mental health. By adopting and spending time with an animal friend, you can experience the benefits of lowered stress levels and blood pressure.
- Cats and dogs provide friendship for lonely individuals, and open opportunities for interacting with others which an older person may miss if family is far away.
- The company of a beloved pet has been proven to reduce depression.
- The quiet and doting home of a senior citizen is the perfect match for an older animal looking for a new home.
- Senior animals are often gentler, calmer companionship, and often are already trained.
Post adoption support
- We want to make sure you and your new cat or dog are doing well, so after you take your new best friend home we will mail you an Adoption Follow-up Survey giving you a chance to tell us about your experience with PAWS and how your new cat or dog is settling into your home.
- If you become unable to take care of your new dog or cat, due to long-term hospitalization or stay in a nursing facility, you or a family member may return the animal to PAWS.
- Read more about the support we offer after you adopt a pet.
For more information about PAWS’ Seniors for Seniors adoption program or to arrange a visit to the animal shelter, please call us at 425.787.2500 x850.