PAWS’ Seniors for Seniors adoption program is all about senior humans rediscovering the joys of having a cat or dog in their lives. The program places senior cats and dogs (typically over 7 years of age) with senior citizens who are 60 years of age or older.
PAWS’ expert matchmakers will help you select a companion who fits into your lifestyle and housing situation at a reduced adoption rate of $35. Learn more about how to adopt a pet at PAWS.
Benefits of adopting
- Research tells us that companion animals, such as cats and dogs, can help improve our physical and mental health. By adopting and spending time with a animal friend, you can experience the benefits of lowered stress levels and blood pressure.
- Cats and dogs provide friendship for lonely individuals, and open opportunities for interacting with others which an older person may miss if family is far away.
- The company of a beloved pet has been proven to reduce depression.
- The quiet and doting home of a senior citizen is the perfect match for an older animal looking for a new home.
- Senior animals are often gentler, calmer companionship, and often are already trained.
Post adoption support
- We want to make sure you and your new cat or dog are doing well, so after you take your new best friend home we will mail you an Adoption Follow-up Survey giving you a chance to tell us about your experience with PAWS and how your new cat or dog is settling into your home.
- If you become unable to take care of your new dog or cat, due to long-term hospitalization or stay in a nursing facility, you or a family member may return the animal to PAWS.
- Read more about the support we offer after you adopt a pet.
For more information about PAWS’ Seniors for Seniors adoption program or to arrange a visit to the animal shelter, please call us at 425.787.2500 x850.