Position Title: PAWS Events Intern
Reports to: Events Manager
Please note: This position is currently filled. Please email Barbara Flynn if you're interested in applying for a future events internship.
This unpaid internship position requires a 4 month commitment (June through September). Applicants must have open availability the week of September 1, 2014.
This position assists the PAWS Events Manager in preparing and executing fundraising events, including PAWSwalk, and third party events. The Events Intern will have a special focus on planning PAWSwalk, PAWS’ annual outdoor fundraising event, by recruiting and managing fundraising/walking teams, assisting with reporting, and helping to create and implement marketing strategies.
Additional skills learned will include basic event logistics and planning, day-of coordination, and skills essential to a professional career in non-profit event planning.
The successful candidate will have superb attention to detail, be able to work independently and adhere to deadlines, be comfortable with computers and learning new software quickly, have a passion for animals, and an outgoing and motivating personality.
This internship is perfect for anyone looking to learn more about the world of non-profit development, event planning and animal welfare issues. While this position will be especially helpful to those looking to continue in a career in the non-profit sector, the skills learned through the event planning process and day-of-event execution are invaluable to anyone who plans to have a leadership role in any sector. Most importantly, this is a fun internship in a fast-paced, casual work environment, and contributes to saving the lives of cats, dogs and wildlife at PAWS.
Additionally, this position will be given the opportunity to work on an individual project with the support of the PAWS Events Manager. This is a great opportunity to add a personal and unique element to a professional portfolio, and work to improve specific skills with the help of a professional non-profit development team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to represent PAWS’ mission in a sincere and energetic manner.
- A schedule with flexibility to attend volunteer trainings and third party events as needed. Applicants must have open availability week of September 1st and all day on September 5th and 6th.
- Comfort with asking individuals and businesses for donations and support for events.
- An outgoing personality and ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Proficiency with use of e-mail and Excel spreadsheets, as well as experience with Word processing, database use and learning new software. Familiarity with Auction Maestro a plus.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and have a tactful, mature and sincere attitude.
- Reliable transportation to and from PAWS and other locations as needed for event attendance. Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Important considerations for this position include a sincere interest and belief in the philosophy of animal welfare, as well as in interest in non-profit development and/or event planning.