As development encroaches on wildlife habitat, PAWS' nationally recognized wildlife rehabilitation center rehabilitates sick, injured and orphaned animals and educates people about peaceful co-existence with wildlife.
Interns assist and support professional Rehabilitators and supervise highly trained volunteers in the daily care of orphaned, wild birds. Interns gain valuable, practical experience in species identification and natural history, proper husbandry techniques, animal handling, medication administration, and other procedures. Internships are intense, physically demanding and fast-paced.
- Hand-feed hatchling and nestling birds
- Set up and clean bird enclosures
- Prepare diets (includes live insects)
- Administer daily medications
- Laundry, dishes and general cleaning tasks
- Other tasks as required
Applicants must be current college students, recent graduates or career changers, possess a strong interest in wildlife rehabilitation and be able to:
- Read, write and speak English fluently
- Work independently and as a part of a team
- Perform tedious tasks for long periods of time
- Perform physically demanding tasks and lift up to 40lbs
- Work quickly and efficiently while precisely following instructions and protocols
- Internships are available May 1—September 30
- Successful candidates must commit to a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks
- Interns work 40+ hours per week including weekend and holiday work*
- Interns are UNPAID
- Housing and transportation assistance is NOT provided
*Limited part-time internships are available. Please indicate your preference for full or part time in your application.
If you are interested in applying for an internship at the PAWS Wildlife Center, please see the Application Process.
The deadline for Avian Wildlife Rehabilitation Internships is February 20.
We will begin reviewing applications after this deadline. However, we will still consider applications on a rolling basis following the deadline when spaces are available.
E-mail Caitlin Soden, Wildlife Volunteer Program Manager.