Wednesday, September 10th, 2003

Wild Again

Celebrating the wildlife releases of the PAWS Wildlife Center

PAWS Wildlife

Injured Baby Animal step by step guide

PAWS Home Page

Become a member

Donate to PAWS

Volunteer with PAWS

Contact PAWS

Report Animal Cruelty

PAWS Events Calendar

Wild Again Back Issues

Please direct questions or comments to To unsubscribe, or subscribe to additional newsletters, please click here. If PAWS Wild Again was forwarded to you and you would like to subscribe, click here. Wild Again and other PAWS services rely entirely on your donations. Please give to PAWS.

Progressive Animal
Welfare Society

PO Box 1037
Lynnwood, WA 98046

September 11th, 2001 was a day filled with shock, fear, uncertainty, and grief. Our perceptions were forever changed, and we were all inundated with terrifying stories and images that continue to haunt us to this day. But when I think back on 9/11/01, from among the images of chaos and destruction, I can pull forth an image that always brings me comfort. The image is that of a face, full of the excited expectation of pending freedom. On a day when so many lives were lost, I was fortunate to be able to take part in the restoration of a life. I recounted the event in the September 11th, 2002 edition of Wild Again. As the second anniversary of 9/11/01 approaches, I feel that it is appropriate to reprint the column once more as a reminder of that days events, both tragic and uplifting.

Kevin Mack
Major Life Changes
by Kevin Mack, PAWS Wildlife Naturalist

I stayed in the truck while riding the ferry not because of any real need to keep an eye on my passenger, but due to an inability to pry myself away from the radio. I looked around at the vehicles closest to me and noticed that they too still had their drivers, some with eyes turned downward and some staring straight off into space. Everywhere I turned there were looks of stress and shock. It would have been quite puzzling had I not been suffering from the same condition myself at the time.

On the way into work I had listened as unfathomable events unfolded in New York City. In the short period of time that I was away from the radio rounding up my release candidate for the day and loading him into the back of the PAWS truck, an airliner had struck the Pentagon. I had listened to progressively worse news after I had climbed into the cab of the truck and left Lynnwood. First the south and then the north tower of the World Trade Center had collapsed. The freshest bit of bad news was that an airliner had just crashed in a rural area of Pennsylvania. The shock of it all had not yet faded enough for me to begin to ponder what kind of far-reaching effects these events would have. Regardless of whether or not I was able to ponder the effects, some of them were quickly becoming apparent.

A voice came over the ferry's intercom system and informed my fellow passengers and I that ours would be the last crossing of the day.

Raccoon playing in water

A Raccoon, in care at PAWS, investigates a stream of water.

All ferry service was to be halted until further notice. Although the announcement did nothing to calm my nerves, I did gather some relief from the fact that I would actually make it to Kingston and be able to continue on to the release site. Despite the fact that my world was in utter chaos, my main concern was to fulfill the responsibility that I had to the being that was in my care. This goal became the focus of my thoughts, and I relaxed a little as I left the ferry behind and headed west towards the Hood Canal Bridge and ultimately the John Wayne Marina.

I arrived at the marina on schedule and met with three agents of the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). I had originally been told that I would give the transport carrier to the agents who would put it on a boat and motor it out to Protection Island where my patient was to be released. They would perform the release and then return the carrier to me on the mainland. Instead, one of the agents asked me to come along making the statement that, "Everyone needs a little happiness today...". After helping to load the carrier onto the boat, I donned a life jacket and settled in for the 15-minute ride to the island.

As we made the crossing and approached the island, my charge was growing restless in his carrier. Perhaps the feeling of the waves or the smell of salt in the air was giving him some inkling of his pending freedom. Arriving at the island, we scouted an area near the harbor looking for conspecifics of our guest of honor. Approximately 300 yards from the boat dock, we spotted nearly 100 plump bodies on a sandy point. It was decided to perform the release a short distance from that point. The carrier was loaded onto a small utility vehicle and driven over to the chosen release site.

Protection Island's caretaker helped me remove the carrier from the vehicle and we placed it about 6 feet from the water’s edge. He then retreated and stood about 15 yards away with the three attending wildlife agents. I moved around to the door of the carrier to find a whiskered face with a twitching nose and large dark eyes staring intently through the bars at the water. The face before me showed none of the stress or shock that I had seen in the faces on the ferry, this face glowed with excitement. The emotion of the animal affected an immediate change in my mood and I suddenly found myself sharing in his excitement. I opened the door, removing the last barrier between him and his new life.

Douglas Squirrel

This orphaned Douglas Squirrel is currently in care at PAWS Wildlife Center.

I joined the rest of my party and we all watched as a very chubby harbor seal undulated his way out of the carrier and into the water. Formerly somber faces were suddenly lit up with smiles as the restoration of an animal was witnessed. The seal entered the water and began swimming back and forth parallel to the beach. Having arrived at PAWS as an extremely young pup, the seal had never swum outside of the confines of a pool. It seemed to take him a few minutes to grasp the fact that he now had the ability to swim in more than just a 15-foot diameter circle. Once this realization dawned on him however, there was no holding him back. He swam just offshore in the direction of the large haul out area we had spotted earlier. It was at this point that we noticed he was not alone in the water. Several other seal heads were visible at the water's surface a short distance away and the seal we had just released made a beeline for them. When he reached them he quickly became indistinguishable among all of the bobbing heads. We collected the carrier and left him to familiarize himself with his new acquaintances.

I feel a connection to that seal in the sense that both of us experienced a major change in life as we know it on September 11th, 2001. I'm very thankful that I was able to, as a spectator, experience his change. I'm even more thankful that he did not have to experience mine.

Wildlife Release tally: August 20th to September 2nd, 2003

13 English House Sparrows
3 House Finches
16 Virginia Opossums
6 American Robins
2 Steller's Jays
1 Brown-headed Cowbird
2 Black-capped Chickadees
1 Chestnut-backed Chickadee
5 Barn Swallows
6 Cliff Swallows
2 Tree Swallows
6 Rock Pigeons (formerly Rock Dove)
1 Band-tailed Pigeon
3 Eastern Cottontails
1 Long-tailed Weasel
1 Pied-billed Grebe
4 Raccoons
1 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Western Screech Owl
9 Mallards
1 Canada Goose
10 Glaucous-winged Gulls

Wildlife Release tally: 2003
808 animals

All rights reserved. 2003 Progressive Animal Welfare Society